Sunday, 3 July 2011

A(nother) Year of Projects

Yay for A Year of Projects! Since the beginning of this year I have had a total clear out of my craft supplies and want to mainly concentrate on a smaller number of crafts in order to get better and have more time to develop skills I want to learn.  So I am sticking with yarn crafts, which I have a lot of skills in but I'm not one to think anyone can know everything about something, and there are a lot of yarn skills I have yet to learn.  Obviously spinning, knitting and crocheting are all part of this craft.

The other is sewing.  I have had a sewing machine available for use for most of my life yet I have yet to feel totally confident in my skills and actually produce a lot of finished projects.  I usually give up.  This is my craft that I want to learn more about and feel more confident with.  

So now I have two crafts I want to be AWESOME at and not 40 types of craft I want to do lots of things with.  And I'm very happy with this.  It has taken me almost 5 years to go full circle through all different types of craft, paper, cross stitch, book binding, bead making to name a few, to realise I like what I started with.  Yarn and Fabric.

For A Year of Projects, I have spent time looking though Ravelry to find some knitting patterns but I don't have everything I want to do yet.  I don't think there is a fault with this as I have a list!

FALSE
Afghan/Blanket
FALSE
I-cord
TRUE
Garter stitch
FALSE
Knitting with metal wire
TRUE
Shawl
TRUE
Stockinette stitch
TRUE
Socks: top-down
FALSE
Socks: toe-up
FALSE
Knitting with camel yarn
FALSE
Mittens: Cuff-up
FALSE
Mittens: Tip-down
TRUE
Hat
FALSE
Knitting with silk
FALSE
Moebius band knitting
TRUE
Participating in a KAL
TRUE
Sweater
FALSE
Drop stitch patterns
TRUE
Knitting with recycled/secondhand yarn
TRUE
Slip stitch patterns
FALSE
Knitting with banana fiber yarn
FALSE
Domino knitting (modular knitting)
TRUE
Twisted stitch patterns
TRUE
Knitting with bamboo yarn
FALSE
Two end knitting
TRUE
Charity knitting
FALSE
Knitting with soy yarn
TRUE
Cardigan
TRUE
Toy/doll clothing
TRUE
Knitting with circular needles
FALSE
Knitting with your own handspun yarn
FALSE
Slippers
FALSE
Graffiti knitting (knitting items on, or to be left on the street)
FALSE
Continental knitting
FALSE
Designing knitted garments
TRUE
Cable stitch patterns (incl. Aran)
TRUE
Lace patterns
FALSE
Publishing a knitting book
TRUE
Scarf
TRUE
Teaching a child to knit
TRUE
American/English knitting (as opposed to continental)
TRUE
Knitting to make money
TRUE
Button holes
TRUE
Knitting with alpaca
TRUE
Fair Isle knitting
FALSE
Norwegian knitting
FALSE
Dying with plant colors
TRUE
Knitting items for a wedding
FALSE
Household items (dishcloths, washcloths, tea cozies…)
FALSE
Knitting socks (or other small tubular items) on two circulars
FALSE
Olympic knitting
FALSE
Knitting with someone else’s handspun yarn
TRUE
Knitting with DPNs
FALSE
Holiday related knitting
TRUE
Teaching a male how to knit
FALSE
Bobbles
FALSE
Knitting for a living
TRUE
Knitting with cotton
FALSE
Knitting smocking
TRUE
Dying yarn
FALSE
Steeks
FALSE
Knitting art
FALSE
Fulling/felting
TRUE
Knitting with wool
TRUE
Textured knitting
TRUE
Kitchener BO
FALSE
Purses/bags
FALSE
Knitting with beads
TRUE
Swatching
TRUE
Long Tail CO
FALSE
Entrelac
TRUE
Knitting and purling backwards
FALSE
Machine knitting
TRUE
Knitting with self-patterning/self-striping/variegating yarn
TRUE
Stuffed toys
TRUE
Baby items
TRUE
Knitting with cashmere
TRUE
Darning
FALSE
Jewelry
TRUE
Knitting with synthetic yarn
FALSE
Writing a pattern
FALSE
Gloves
TRUE
Intarsia
FALSE
Knitting with linen
TRUE
Knitting for preemies
FALSE
Tubular CO
FALSE
Freeform knitting
TRUE
Short rows
FALSE
Cuffs/fingerless mitts/arm warmers
FALSE
Pillows
TRUE
Knitting a pattern from an online knitting magazine
FALSE
Rug
FALSE
Knitting on a loom
FALSE
Thrummed knitting
TRUE
Knitting a gift
FALSE
Knitting for pets
FALSE
Shrug/bolero/poncho
FALSE
Knitting with dog/cat hair
FALSE
Hair accessories
TRUE
Knitting in public


This is a list I found somewhere on the internet, I can't remember where, of things you need to know how to knit to call yourself a knitter.  So I plan to use this to chose patterns throughout the year.  I want to mainly concentrate on improving my knitting skills with A Year of Projects although I will be doing some other yarn and fabric projects too alongside.  

I have currently completed 47/100 on the list! (My Mac shows pretty little checkboxes but you will have to make do with TRUE/FALSE unfortunately!) So to begin with I have chosen 12 patterns which each will help me to check something else off the list!

Have a look here for more on this blog-a-long.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you improve your skills and with a list like that you are bound to, really looking forward to seeing how you do this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's one impressive list you have there! Love the twelve things you've chosen, particularly the blue/grey shrug/shawl in the first set of pictures. Looking forward to watching it all evolve over the year.

    Kate :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your list - the tea cosy and cowl are beautiful - good luck getting to 100/100 :)

    ReplyDelete